Monday, December 6, 2010

Roma

 A year ago today I was in Italy.  Mmmm good memories.  My first day in the country was an adventure to be sure.  I couldn't let Roma go unexplored just because I ended being there by myself!  No, it was my only opportunity to spend some real time in the city and I took advantage of it.  Here are just a few shots of a slice of the amazing sites I had an privilege to see that day.
This picture was actually not taken in Rome, but it is one of my favorites because it just makes us Americans say, "Are you kidding me?"  I mean, doesn't this look like a movie set?  It was just a little shop I passed as we strolled through a town.
 Il Colloseo.  This was the first site I stopped at and it was surreal to be there!
 When my sister Michelle saw this picture she exclaimed, "This looks so different from my picture taken in the summertime.  It is like Where's Waldo to find me in mine."  These are the advantages to going in off season.  To get this shot I actually spoke in Italian to a local family of three sisters and mom visiting the fountain.  I told them I had three sisters at home in America.
I must say the Trevi Fountain was a surprise favorite for me in Rome.  I exited the bus and walked down a quaint street following the sound of water.  Suddenly the narrow road opens up to this sight of sparkling, flowing water.  It was simply beautiful.  Pictures really don't do it justice and I was surprised how much I loved this little spot of Roma.
 San Pietro.  It was such a HUGE church.  This is a place I must go back and spend some time in.  There were absolutely no lines, which was awesome, but I was so pressed for time I didn't get to see the Sistine Chapel.  Next time.  I had to at least see the Pieta, which I did.  Michaelangelo was amazing.
So, this was the double decker tour bus I took around the city.  Yes, I was the only passenger on the bus.  The bottom floor was also empty but for the tour guides.  It had been raining when I arrived in the city, but the sun came out and I enjoyed a dry sightseeing trip.

0 comments:

Post a Comment