Sunday, October 24, 2010

Numbers

I'm not sure, but I don't think it is a good idea to give a guy you are interested the wrong number and then also drop and break your phone the same day. Yes, I did just that the day after I met Chris. However, I did think, "Ok, if he is really interested in me then he will find a way to get a hold of me." By that night he had. Being the (as he would say) computer geeky kind of a guy that he is, he didn't even know that I had problem with my phone because he found me on Facebook. He asked me to be his friend and sent me a message asking me out.
After I returned his message in the affirmative I looked at the little grey button at the bottom of the screen. I always kept my chat off. Should I turn it on and see if he was online? Hmm. I precariously clicked over to the available green button. Right away he started sending me messages. He was cute and a little flirtatious. By the end of our interchange we also had a date set for Monday. We would walk around downtown Palo Alto or Stanford campus. He told me that sometimes he just likes walking and talking. I told him that I liked walking and talking too. I thought this was very European to just stroll through the city and chat.
That night I was so keyed up I couldn't sleep. I had never been so nervous for a date before. This was not like me. I did not get nervous before dates. When I finally saw him Monday night, my fears melted away. We walked through the beautiful Stanford campus and he told me about his life. He was worried about talking too much. If you know me, I know you are laughing out loud at this point because I am quite a talker myself. He did indeed talk me under the table that night, but I found him fascinating and endearing. I felt his depth of feeling for the things he spoke of and I saw the charming, funny, energetic, spiritual man that he was. I no longer felt scared of who he might be but happy with who I was seeing that he was.
By the end of this date I think both of our heads were spinning. Something special was going on. Now, you will recall that we already had a date lined up for Friday with each other. When I said that Friday seemed far away now, he chuckled and told me he had some time available the next night. So the first week after we had met one another we went out three times. I will tell you that after this first date, however, something truly miraculous happened. As I drove home I felt, "I am going to marry him". It just seemed to echo with truth and I could see our future unfold before me. I laughed and I cried, but it just felt true. The next day the reverberations of this truth could still be felt. I just knew that I had found the man I was going to marry. Of course, I couldn't tell him this and scare him off so I wrote it all out in letters to him that he would read sometime later:-)
I don't think I slept very much that first week. Luckily, my sister lived in Ohio and I could call her very early in the morning California time. And I had friends in LA that stayed up late. It was a crazy time and it shocked me, but the rest is history!

Us at Stanford on our third date.

We went to an outdoor concert and had a great time.

4 comments:

Karen said...

Don't feel bad, I knew you were going to get married very early in your relationship too. That's one of the big reasons I let Dad talk me into moving, because I knew you would be okay and that Chris would take care of you. I also liked that he would work so hard to find you and then continued to want to see you all of the time. I like a man who knows what he wants and then goes after it. All the talking too. It reminds me when Dad and I were first dating. Actually it still does.

Lora said...

Awww, thanks! Yeah, you and dad still do talk up a storm. See you guys soon!

Lindsey said...

I'm just reading this now, sorry! But that top picture of you two together is fabulous--you look soooo happy!!!! Love it!

Lora said...

My man is so good looking!!!

Post a Comment